Saturday, June 6, 2009

Doing God's Will

Excerpts from Chapter 3 of the book "Experiencing GOD: Knowing and Doing the Will of GOD" by Henry & Richard Blackaby and Claude King: *use it for quiet times in the morning*

"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work." (John 4:34)

...We tend to seek things that keep us comfortable, but God is not restricted by our fears. He sees beyond our current limitations and is constantly leading us to grow into the person He knows we can become...
...Often people approach knowing and doing God's will this way: They ask, "Lord, what do You want me to do? When do You want me to do it? How shall I do it? Where shall I do it? What will the outcome be?"
Isn't it typical of us to ask God for a detailed road map before we are willing to set our on the journey? We say, "Lord, if you would just tell me where I need to end up, then I'll be able to set my course and go." You might even decide you won't move forward until God tells you ahead of time the details of what you will face. But that is not the way God let people in the Scriptures. The Lord doesn't send us off like an errand boy. He intends to accompany us on the journey. He wants us to continually heed His voice and go with Him one day at a time. As long as we walk daily with Christ, we will always know where to be-right beside Him-and will always end up where He wants us to be. When you get to the place where you trust Jesus to guide you one step at a time, you'll experience tremendous freedom. But as long as you rely on your own judgment, you'll worry every time you must make a decision that you might take a wrong turn.
As you follow Jesus one day at a time, He will keep you in the center of God's will...

Example: Abraham
Abraham walked by faith and not by sight.
Read below passage:

Genesis 12:1-5 (New International Version)
The Call of Abram 1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.

2 "I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.

3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."

4 So Abram left, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Haran. 5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.

God said, "Get out of your country." How specific were the directions? He gave Abram this much detail: "to the land I will show you." That is all God asked Abram to do. God promised to do the rest. Would you be willing to follow God's directions for your life with so little detail? God often calls people to follow Him without giving them all the details at the beginning. That is certainty the pattern in Scriptures. Many times, as with Abram, God invites people to follow Him step by step.

Other examples: Peter, Andrew, James, John, and Paul (see Matt. 4:18-22; 9:9; Acts 9:1-20)
Matthew 4:18-22 (New International Version)
The Calling of the First Disciples

18
As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." 20At once they left their nets and followed him.
21
Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Matthew 9:9-17 (New International Version)
The Calling of Matthew

9
As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him."

God gave minimal details about their assignments. He simply said, "Follow Me."

Are you anxious about the future, or are you content to walk with Jesus one day at a time? Take some time alone with God today, enjoying fellowship with Him without focusing on what you may need to do next.

Reminded again to this song that I love... simple words but expressing deep commitment...


2 comments:

Janicelees said...

Thanks for posting. I often wonder about that. Tho, my question is...

"'Lord, what do You want me to do? When do You want me to do it? How shall I do it? Where shall I do it? What will the outcome be?'

He wants us to continually heed His voice and go with Him one day at a time."

Isn't that heeding his voice comes later after we have heard His voice? and isn't His voice the answer of the question "Lord, what do you want me to do?"

Ita said...

His voice in this case could only be "Follow Me." (just as Jesus said to the disciples) or "Leave your country... to the land I will show you" (just as God said to Abram). No details on when, how, where, or what the outcome would be.

The actual issue of those questions is that we sometimes ask for too much details and sometimes when we don't know the details we would not start to move.

Hope I make myself clear. If not, next time I meet you I'll bring the book so you could read the whole chapter (to make it clearer). And of course, we could always discuss! Anyway, I'm also still trying to understand and still learning :)