Saturday, June 6, 2009

Am I Filled with Holy Spirit?

A personal sumary of the sermon by Rev. Jahja Santoso on Pectacost Day. It makes me ponder whether I have been submitting myself to the Holy Spirit *since we talked much about it lately*
Hope you could use it for personal reflection also :)

Acts 3:1-10 (New International Version)

Peter Heals the Crippled Beggar
1One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. 2Now a man crippled from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. 3When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. 4Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" 5So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

6Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." 7Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. 8He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. 9When all the people saw him walking and praising God, 10they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.


The characteristics of people who are filled by the Holy Spirit:

1. Have a longing to go to church, worship GOD not only alone but also with others.

verse 1: "...going up to the temple" (eventhough at that time the temple was led by the people who crucified Jesus)
This one was not a big problem for me, as I really love to attend Sunday Service! :)

2. Have the sensitivity to look at others and do what GOD wants them to do to others.
verse 4a: "Peter looked straight at him, as did John..."
Look at your family members'/friends'/colleagues' face, do you notice change on their face compared to the last time you met? Do they look happy now? Or maybe sad/heavy-laden? Do you ask why? Are you willing to emphatize or help?
verse 2&3: The crippled man carried a heavy burden (and getting heavier each day) because as a man he was supposed to be a bread-winner, but the fact was he must depend on others to carry him and he had to beg.
Definitely not easy to do this. It is hard to look at others when I feel that I myself have problems. Or... sometimes I just looked at them. In my heart I wanna help them, but in the end I did not act further (some excuses: tired, not in the mood, don't want to interfere on private matters). In this case, you could say that I did not submit to the Holy Spirit.

3. Dare to ask others to "look at us". Becoming examples for others.
verse 4b: "Then Peter said, "Look at us!""
Even more more difficult! :p Cannot NATO (no action talk only)!

4. Be honest of what you have and what you don't have.
verse 6: "Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you....""
Don't push yourself to give what you don't have, and don't be a person that doesn't give what you have. (have time, give time. have energy, give energy. have money, give money, etc)
Do not make excuse! "Later when I have ... (time, money, etc), I will serve the LORD"
I have time, energy, and money. So... don't really have excuses not to serve Him :p
Wonder what do I don't have? Hmm...

5. Do the extra mile.
verse 7: "Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up..."
Actually, healing is more than enough for the crippled man (verse 3: he expected only money). Peter could just leave the man and enter the temple, but Peter did not do that. He also helped him to get up. And the man instantly became strong. And as a result, he walked, even jumped! And even praised GOD! This thing truly brought glory to GOD as the people "...were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him" (verse 10)
Do one mile is not easy, let alone to do the extra mile >.<

How bout you? :)

No comments: