Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Batam Trip

On 25th-26th Dec me & a couple of church members went to Batam. The main purpose is to attend a housewarming party. This trip has been a refreshing and inspiring trip. I'll let you know why:
1. Because we could share the joy with the family in celebrating their new house.
The house owner, which is one of our church members, has asked us to pray for her in the process of finishing this house because there has been many issues and challenges, especially in dealing with the contractor. The finishing of the house has been long-delayed and she was quite frustrated with it. So... for me to be able to stay at the house for one night, and for all of us to be able to attend the housewarming, is like a prayer answered! :) Of course we should feel grateful and joy.
2. Because I had an encounter with nature.
To step back from metropolitan life for a while and go to see the plains, beaches and animals was so refreshing! Admiring God through what He has made for us humans :)
3. Because I was inspired by true life stories from women of God.
There're 2 people who has inspired me during the Batam trip.
One is the house owner, especially when she told us about the challenging process of buying the land and in the planning to build the house. She did it by herself! I learnt about preseverance from her experience.
Second is the wonderful lady who has been our unexpected "tour guide". It's been a such a great journey with her! Truly unimaginable! She was one of the pioneer in building Batam. She has been in Batam for 20 years. She stepped her feet from the time when Batam was still untamed forest until now. She knew Batam by heart. It's been a privilege to be in her car along the journey around Batam. She shared so many things about Batam and about her inspiring life stories:
- She started the construction in Batam with ZERO knowledge about being a contractor! She was a medical student and managed a cosmetic company before, but she studied and keep studying until now. Her vision of a developed Batam is the only thing that drives her to do all the things she did. She did not even have money and had to loan from the bank. One funny thing happened when she went to meet the loan officer and he asked her to give him a proposal.
Her answer was, "What is a proposal?" :)
The loan officer then answered, "A picture or plan of what you will build".
"Oh... sure. Please lend me a paper and a pen. I will explain." she replied :D
From her I learned not to be afraid to be a visionary person or whatever people say to me. When Batam was only dark forest, she had already envisioned the island to be like Sg and she dared take Mr. H's (then Indonesian president) challenge to build Batam. Many many people has regarded her as "crazy" and "stupid" but it never stops her.
-Let me quote her:
"From the outside you might see me as a great woman, but you wouldn't have imagined how much tears dropped..."
"I have been through a lot of bitterness... there are times even my closest ones also did not support me..."
"But God's grace... Every time my head touched the pillow, I would fall to sleep. That is one of the most important thing." :)
"My grandfather once told me, 'Remember, whatever happens, a woman must stop crying and go back to the kitchen because she has a family to support. WHATEVER HAPPENS...' and I will never forget what he said"
There are so many other stories that I could not write everything here. But one thing I firmly believe that she is surely a woman of determination, resilience, and faith and I learned a lot on NOT TO GIVE UP!

I thank GOD for giving me an opportunity to spend time with those women. I went home getting inspired. My mind was so fresh, full of ideas and things to reflect on :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice story...

Ita, apa challengenya jika membeli tanah dan membangun rumah di Batam ? Kebetulan saya juga punya rencana seperti itu. Trims.

Ita said...

@Anonymous: saya ga ada pengalaman beli tanah di Batam. Hehehe... tapi saya bisa kenalkan pada beberapa orang yang sudah tinggal di sana bertaun2. Bisa kirim email ke i_luv_blu3@yahoo.com kalo ada pertanyaan. Nanti saya sampaikan pada mereka :)