Thursday, February 19, 2009

What's Your Hobby?

Oh no... I really miss writing on my blog... Lots of things to talk about!
Must set aside some time >.<

Ok. This is special case. I dunno why, but I feel like I have to share this...

This morning I taught in a class... A one student class... Felt like doing a pivate instead of teaching :)
The student is a Filipino domestic worker. Short, quite plumb, nice, decent, pretty (my Myanmarese colleague kept emphasizing this. Hehe..). She seems young, about 20 yrs old, but when I checked, she has a husband and 2 kids! o.0

In the curriculum, I was told to give some tips on how the newly arriving workers can cope with homesickness, loneliness, and sad feeling. One way to do this is by doing the things they like to do a.k.a doing their hobby.
I gave some examples to her: listening to music, writing diary, reading, etc.
And then I ask a question to her, "What is your hobby? What do you like to do?"
Straightly she answered, " I like reading Bible".
...
...
...
I stunned! A simple answer from a simple girl, yet it gave strong impact.
Then I asked her, "You like reading Bible?"
"Yes.", she replied.
You could hear a big "Wow!" in my heart! !
I mean... I don't think she knows that I'm a Christian... *I don't think my name and my face would make people think that I'm one :p*
And there she was... with courage she firmly stated that her hobby is reading the Bible!
I must admit she is one of a kind.
I definitely NEVER expect that kind of answer coming out of a student I teach. EVERY other domestic workers I have asked before (even though they are Catholic Filipino) always gave "standard" answers (listen to music, sing, write).

Then I smiled at her. And I gave a glance to my Myanmarese colleague who is in the room with me (a devout sister in Christ) and found out that she also smiled :)
Then the conversation moved on to how often she reads the Bible (first thing in the morning & night before sleep). I told her that me & my colleague are Christian and I shared with her how we also do the same thing and how GOD's word has always become our source of strength everyday. And she also smiled, maybe because she knew that she is not alone :)

Well... what a day! I must admit I can't stop thinking about it.
I mean... yes I also like reading Bible, but I don't think to the extend that if people ask me my hobby I would answer "Reading the Bible."
Today's incident really make me think, think, and think again...

"Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night."

1 comment:

Janicelees said...

yea. hehe. same case. I dunno if I'll answer her answer. :S join the club.