Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Teens Ministry (Feb '13)


Where am I now?

I thank God for my Field Education Placement Coordinator (FEPC). Since our church started this ministry to Indonesian secondary school and Junior College (JC) students in Singapore, my FEPC has been with me, monitoring the development of this ministry from a distance. As student, I am asked to submit reflection papers twice a year. My FEPC will the return the reflection paper with useful critiques, comments, and questions, those  that prompted me to evaluate further what I have been doing and what I should do next.

End of last year, she suggested me to start training some of them to be leaders. I pondered on her advise and came to agree with her. There are a couple of reasons. First, this ministry has been going on for 1.5 years. We have had more people and several potential leaders now. Secondly, I'm graduating this May and not sure what will happen to me. There's possibility that I will go back to Bandung. It's high time to pass the baton!

So now, I'm trying to equip two volunteers and eleven students to be leaders. I have been enjoying the process: looking up some resources (books, websites, articles), meeting with them and mentoring them in a small group or one-on-one, delegates LOTS and LOTS of responsibility to them (which is the best part! Haha...). 

I want them to stop needing me. Hopefully that is the case, especially when the time comes for me to leave Singapore.

No comments: