Saturday, February 26, 2011

TTC Student Council Installation Responses


    At the beginning of this year I was approached by a senior to continue his role in the Student Council as the Chair/Co-Chair of Community Living at TTC. He told me that he would also approach my classmate, XJ, to offer him this role. In the end, both XJ and me agreed. It is interesting for me because in my life I have never been in any Student Council before. I used to be an introvert with no interest in getting involved in any 
extracurricular activities at school or university.

On 7 Feb there was an installation service for the Student Council. A couple of days before the installation service, our incoming President Council sent to us the bulletin of the service. They put the installation responses there. Installation responses is the time where all incoming Student Council would go in front of the chapel and respond to what the principal asks. Here is the excerpts of the installation response:

Principal:  Do you believe that you have been called to serve in the Student Council of Trinity Theological College, to serve God and His Community? Are you willing to obey the teaching of our Lord Jesus, that the greatest in His Kingdom is the servant of all; and thus take your position in the Council as a privilege to serve your fellow students so as to please God? 

Student Council:  Yes, with the help of God. 


Principal:  Will you diligently live according to the teachings of Christ? Will you always try to be a positive example to other students, committing yourself to the work of reconciliation and love in the college? Will you work cooperatively with those placed in 
charge of you, following their advice with humility and gladness? 


Student Council:  We will do so by the grace of God. 


Principal: Will you, the students and faculty of Trinity Theological College, covenant before God to do your part to uphold the Student Council in their ministry, by your prayers, support, encouragement, constructive feedback and advice for the benefit of all 
in the Trinity Community? 


TTC Community:  We will with the help of God.


Principal: Now humbly, but boldly, take up the authority and responsibility to carry out your duties and responsibilities as members of the Student Council of Trinity Theological College, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.  


When I read the installation responses, I was reminded that this is a great responsibility which requires strong commitment. 
We will lead the community by serving them. 


It is not just any leadership position. I believe when 
the previous Student Council looked for successors, they didn't do it arbitrarily. The would observe people, even prayed that God would show the right person for the role. If you look carefully to the installation response, they use the term "calling". A calling to serve the community, to live a Christlike life, to set example, to humility. A privilege, I would say.

I purposely put the installation response here in my blog to keep reminding me of who and what I should be, especially as part of TTC Community.

I believe the Lord helps me and TTC Community supports me. Amen.

No comments: