Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Why" on Ministry

I've always liked "why" questions.
It reveals motivation.
It digs into the depth of the heart.
It makes aware of the unconscious.

Now I'm questioning myself, again, why?
Why am I taking ministry?
Can I say no to a ministry offered to me? Or why should I say no?
Is it 'weird' for a theological student to say no when others asked me to minister? Is it not ok for a theological student to take less ministry than others for wanting to concentrate on study? Should I care of what people think of me?

Am I taking ministry because nobody else available, or because I think that nobody else can do better than me?
Am I taking ministry to prove myself? To get a platform to develop my skills? To utilize what I have learned at school?
Am I taking ministry because it makes me feel good or feel useful?
Am I taking ministry because I just love to be the one in charge, to be able to tell others what to do?
Am I taking ministry because people have given me allowances and love gifts? Oh... yeah... money is always one of the trickiest thing on earth.
Am I taking ministry because I sense that there was a great need? Has these needs driven me to ministry? Is need-driven ministry right?

What is inside is more important than what is seen.
Works are important, but it is the motivation behind that defines the value of works.
Has the Gospel driven me? Has God's grace driven me?

-Inspired by the sermon preached by a senior at TTC on Chapel yesterday-

No comments: