Thursday, August 12, 2010

Classes @ TTC

Been busy in the past month since school started. No update for so long because lately I prefer to write in my journal. Yes, I still prefer writing by pen :)

I have not followed Facebook for 3 days! Haha... Somehow it just never crossed my mind. Too engaged with classes, readings, and enjoying community life here at TTC :) So fun, so inspiring, so mind-changing. In the process of life-changing, I guess.

Too many things to talk about. But I will write about my classes at TTC now.

Monday is "Mission and Evangelism" (M&E) class. What is good from this class is that we always start with prayer for missions around the world. It keep us updated on what is happening in the world out there and grow our compassion for people.
We are supposed to do several projects. One of them is to write a reflection on our participation in Mission Trip. Well, I must say that I'm totally amateur in this area. Zero experience. I have never been to a Mission Trip before (there is a high probability that I am the only one in class that never been to MT before).
Me & 4 friends are planning to visit Cambodia from 28 August to 6 Sept. Well... cannot say much anything now as we are still in the midst of preparation.

Tuesday is "Old Testament 1" (OT1) class, which I am a Subject Representative (basically assisting the lecturer in some duties and being a mediator between lecturer and classmates).
A great experience as a Subject Rep! It is a pleasure to serve the class and the lecturer. I myself honestly has been blessed with this responsibility.
It makes myself busier, yes, but it is also a great learning for me. I knew that the lecturer is a very busy person (look at the list of all her responsibilities at TTC - lecturer, Acting Chaplain, Warden- not to forget that she is a wife, a mother, and a preacher!) but she replied to my email fast and she would patiently explain to me on the matters when I really didn't know what to do. And she would do it in a way that is very encouraging and friendly. This has motivated me to keep doing the best because I know that she is doing her best.
Another good thing is.... Every week we have quiz!!!! :p The lecturer assigns us to read one Book for each week starting from Genesis. It is an interesting experience with its own struggle that I would need a special post to talk about it.

But I like the lecture! I'm so into OT now! I would happily read the Bible and read more than the required readings. It crossed my mind that if I have a chance to study further, I would take OT as my area of research.
If I have to describe OT, I would say that it is so deep and so rich with theological values. OT is the "Bible" that Jesus read throughout his life, right? If I wanna be like Jesus, must study the Bible that He was studying :) It is good to master both Old and New Testament. We will definitely be more like Jesus.

Wednesday is "Church History" class. Sadly to say, the class that I was most reluctant to go to. Why? I have problem with the textbook that we use. It is so boring that I found myself sleeping almost everytime I was reading it! >.<>

Thursday is "New Testament 1" (NT) class. The lecturer is also my Family Group mentor and a great Theological blogger. His blog is the top 100 Theological blog in USA!
A very nice person indeed, and he is so efficient in teaching as he would carefully chose his words in delivering his lecture. He also chose for us a more interesting textbook with full of colour, pictures, and maps (definitely helps me as a visual person) :D Well, NT is not something new for me as I took night class in other Bible School on NT before. But a different teacher means a different perspective so it is still interesting.
I would happily dedicated this blog post to him as our conversation with him today in Family Group about his blog has inspired me to return into blogging again :)

Friday is "Theology 1". Love the lecture and couldn't ask for more! :) He is a Professor in Christian Doctrine. He is like a " Theological dictionary in the form of human" :), and he would make a thick Theology book into a concise presentation. I am amazed! :)

For a full list of TTC lecturers, visit this page. You could try to make a guess on which lecturer teaches each of my 5 class :)

Ok, that's all for today. Will tell you more stories of my TTC life later :)

1 comment:

SATheologies said...

Hi Ita,

Thank you for sharing your experience here.

I share the same sentiment with you on M&E, Church History, and Theology lesson. Chew Hock Hin Professor of Christian Doctrine is someone who get very excited in his own lecture. I'm taking his Eschatology class now. Every lesson, he lectures with great zeal and energy.

One of my complaints about the Church History textbook is that it lacks Primary Sources citations. We have to assume the book to have all facts correct. Perhaps the editors want to give the impression that the book is authoritative.

As for OT and NT, I do not share as much enthusiasm. That's of course just a personal observation.

Anyway, continue to enjoy your classes! :)