Monday, November 22, 2010

Prayer and Power

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men and women.
Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks."
-Phillip Brooks (1835-1893)-

I read this statement twice within these two days from two different books. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think God is trying to say something to me.

When I read the above statement, two things came into my mind:

First, what Peter Parker said in Spiderman 2 : "With great power comes great responsibility". Hmm... come to think about it, it's quite frustrating, right? You end up thinking about how much responsibility you will have to do.
I think the sentence is not complete. If I may add, it would be: "With great power comes great responsibility, and with great responsibility, comes great power."
Yup, there's God's encouragement for each of us to fulfill our responsibility :)

Second, I think about how my life would be next semester. I will take 5 subjects (same as this semester) and 1 audit. Plus... there will be placement. I will be placed in my home church. Currently, I still do not know what my responsibilities are, but one thing for sure, I will have more responsibilities compared to this semester.
The quote above becomes an encouragement for me to pray more. Praying... something that I have been considered as 'second class' compared to reading Bible. Yup, no doubt I enjoy reading Study Bible, commentaries, and books. But to pray? It takes much lesser than my time spent for reading. I think God is trying to remind me to get on my knees more...

Thank You, Lord, for Your Word. Help me to obey.

No comments: